Hamilton County was founded in 1856 and the County seat is Hamilton. It is located in the Edwards Plateau in Central Texas and bounded on the north by Comanche, Erath, and Bosque counties, on the west by Mills County, and on the south by Lampasas and Coryell counties. The county was named for James Hamilton, a South Carolina governor who invested some $216,000 in gold to finance the Texas struggle for independence from Mexico.
Hamilton County covers approximately 844 square miles and has a population of around 8,500. The two largest towns are Hamilton and Hico.
History of the Hamilton County Courthouse